Wednesday 16 September 2009

Planting Spring Bulbs in the Fall

Planting spring bulbs in the fall is my only consolation that summer is over. Earlier today I was certain that I would spend the today attacking closet organization. My motivation was weak at best and it totally dissolved when I remembered that I had purchased some daffodil bulbs at the hardware store this past weekend. The day was really too nice to spend inside so i made a token stab at organizing my front hall closet and then I changed into my gardening pants and clogs.

Although my yard is full of dormant bulbs that will surprise and delight me in the spring, each year I add a few more. I don't need to but I love the ritual. It's relaxing and exciting at the same time. It's like planting buried treasure. Every spring I make a few notes about what areas might need a few new bulbs and every fall I plant 1-2 dozen new bulbs.

A few years ago I gave up on tulips. If the tulip bulbs survive the squirrels and deer, they only tend to last a year or two. The beauty of the first year is not worth the funny sight of a lone stubborn tulip coming up year after year. Some people have better luck with tulips and their garden's are lovely. I have had poor luck with tulips and I have given up.

Of all the spring bulbs, my favorite is the daffodil. It is pretty, resilient, unappetizing to squirrels, and it multiplies. I believe daffodils are the bulbs that provide the most value for your dollar. As a result I always tend to add daffodils every fall. Of course, I don't limit myself to daffodils. I also try to plant a small patch of a new type of bulb each year. If the new variety of bulb works well I add to it the following year. I have not yet chosen the "new" bulb for 2009.

The soil in my garden is fairly rich. I compost regularly and try to amend the soil every year. That being said I never plant a bulb without a pinch of blood meal and bone meal. The blood meal keeps animals away and the bone meal gives it an energy kick in subsequent years.

The internet is a wealth of information on planting spring bulbs. Certain bulbs need sun, others will fair ok in the shade. Some spring bulbs can be planted in September while others do better if planted just before the first hard freeze. I am attaching a link to the BBC site on planting bulbs .

Once you start planting spring bulbs you will be hooked. It is a fun and inexpensive hobby and it pays out in beautiful dividends in the springtime. I find that planting bulbs is all about being house proud.

1 comment:

  1. I click on the highlighted areas, but it doesn't open up. Do you post pictures?

    ReplyDelete